Houston Felony Defense Attorney
Felony charges are reserved for the most serious of crimes and therefore can be assigned the most severe sentences. In the state of Texas, a felony is defined as a crime that is punishable with a year or more of imprisonment. If you have been accused with a felony in the greater Houston area, it is absolutely imperative that you contact an assertive criminal defense attorney. Ashley J. Scott can provide you with the legal representation you need during pre-trial hearing, jury trials, and sentencing hearings.
Felony Offenses in Texas
The Law Office of Ashley J. Scott defends clients against all types of felony crimes, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Aggravated robbery;
- Aggravated kidnapping;
- Burglary of house or building;
- Rape and other felony sex crimes;
- Drug crimes; and
- Felony DWI.
Felony crimes vary in degree; Section 12.04 of the Texas Penal Code outlines the five categories of felonies. Crimes are categorized by the seriousness of the offense.
- State jail felonies: A person guilty of this felony is looking at jail time for a minimum of 180 days and maximum of 2 years and can also be fined up to $10,000.
- Felonies of the third degree: If found guilty of a third degree felony, the accused could receive a sentence of 2 to 10 years and can be fined up to $10,000.
- Felonies of the second degree: If found guilty of a second degree felony, the accused is facing 2 to 20 years, and can also be fined up to $10,000.
- Felonies of the first degree: If found guilty of a first degree felony, the accused could receive a sentence of life imprisonment or 5 to 99 years, and can also be fined up to $10,000.
- Capital felonies: If found guilty of a capital felony, the accused may face the death penalty, life without parole, or a life sentence, depending on whether the state sought the death penalty.
Finding an Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney
Being charged with a felony is extremely detrimental to your criminal record, reputation, and future job opportunities; being convicted of a felony can strip you of your freedom. If you are facing felony charges in the greater Houston area, contact felony defense attorney, Ashley J. Scott at 713-255-2097. We will review your case and give you an honest opinion concerning your legal situation.